Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Man is sick of chicken, wants meat

Red meat! New Leaf had organic New York Steaks on sale for $8.99 a pound. Picked up three. Henry insisted on a green bell pepper because he liked the smell. Livy chose green beans and I picked little white creamer potatoes and shitake mushrooms.

I boiled the little potatoes in their skins and then strained them and added them back into the pot with a nice big chunk of sweet butter, a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of grey sea salt, few twists of pepper and a big pinch of herbs de provence. Sauteed them a little bit for a little brownage on the skins.

To cook the steaks, I heated my favorite 10 inch all clad fry pan on high heat and added a drizzle of olive oil, salt and peppered the steaks and seared them in the pan, first side about 4 minutes flipped over and seared the other side about another 4 or 5 minutes.

While the steaks were cooking, I sliced the shitakes (remember to remove the stem, too tough to eat) julienned the green pepper, and chopped a small shallot and clove of garlic. When the steaks were done cooking I removed them from the pan to rest on a plate tented with foil. To the hot pan I added a little butter and the pepper and mushroom mix and sauteed till softened. I added about a half cup water to scrape up any brown bits from the pan and reduced down to a sauce. Check the salt and season if necessary. You can finish this sauce by stirring in a couple pats of cold butter if you like.

Steamed green beans.

No comments: