Sunday, October 11, 2009

Peperone







Tonight I made 15 pounds of beef peperoni with my friend Danny. It was made from a cow that was raised a mile and half down the road from my house by a lovely lady named Doreen whom I buy my eggs from. All her animals are well cared for and fed organically. Doreen gave me my first cheese recipe and I bought my goats from her.

10 pounds of the peperoni we seasoned with paprika and piment d'espelette, a spicy ground red pepper from basque region. It also had fennel, allspice, salt and red wine along with a starter for the fermentation. The last 5 pounds we seasoned with green and black peppercorns, fennel, red wine and piment de espelette. This will probable be more like a french saucisson.

Now the sausages will hang in Danny's distillery to ferment and dry. With the big storm that is expected to come in the humidity and temperature should be just right.

No comments: