Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Not Kentucky Fried Chicken


Today we were driving home from running errands, sitting in traffic in front of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Both my kids called out for KFC. No Way, kiddos! Don't even ask. "Oh but we love that popcorn chicken" they chanted. Well, lucky for me I was planning chicken for dinner tonight so I made it fried and it was good. I even made some popcorn chicken.

I used boneless, skinless thighs and breast, which I cut up into smaller pieces, each thigh became 2 or three pieces and the breast was 4 including the tender. I removed the little oyster nuggets from the thighs and these were the "popcorn".

I arranged flour, egg and bread crumbs in three bowls. I seasoned the flour with salt and pepper and to the whole wheat breadcrumbs I added a good amount of raw sesame seeds. Each piece of chicken was dusted with flour, dipped in egg and coated in crumbs. When all pieces were coated I fried them in about 3/8 inch canola oil. Since they were small and boneless they cooked pretty quick, about 2-3 minutes each side.

I served the chicken with steamed green beans and a plate of sliced avocado and tomato seasoned with lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper. The breading was our starch tonight.

There is enough leftover chicken for lunch boxes tomorrow. And my kids do love this much more than KFC.


No comments: