Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tortilla Soup

Yu-um.

Cover an assortment of dried chilis with boiling water to soften. Remove seeds and stems then puree softened pods. (I used pasilla, california, new mexico). (You can use dry chili powder in place of this homemade paste if you want to.) Saute an onion and a couple of chopped garlic cloves in olive oil. Add 4 chopped boneless chicken thighs. Stir in some of the chili puree to taste and a 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano. Add about a quart of chicken stock. Throw in some chopped tomatoes, a can of black beans and some frozen corn. Bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes. Season with salt. While soup is simmering cut about 6 corn tortillas into strips and fry in oil till crispy.
Finish soup with a half bunch of chopped cilantro.

Serve soup with fried tortilla strips, chopped avocado, lime wedges, sliced jalapenos and sour cream.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I'm so excited that you've started a blog! I remember sitting at swimming, it was like Smith Barney, "when Mary Beth talks recipes, everyone listens!"

I still love the sesame coated salmon and sobo noodles recipe that told me. I actually have dried peppers in my pantry to make chili... just like how you told me to!

Nancy