Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Goat's Milk

This is where it all began. I started making cheese over 3 years ago with raw goats milk that I bought from a neighbor down the road. I eventually just bought the goats and milked them myself. I shared them with my friend Elizabeth and we split the work and the milk. I started by making fresh cheese or chevre with the milk and some store bought buttermilk. I started researching cheesemaking on the web and found very little information. I purchased a very basic book and continued to do research. I learned most of what I know by making cheese. I have a 20+ year culinary background so the concepts were familiar and the learning came naturally.

I am writing this blog to share what I have learned about cheesemaking. It is such a magical, fun craft, but it is not out of reach for ANYBODY!!! Anyone can make cheese. It is not as mysterious as it seems. I taught pre-schoolers how to make cheese and kinders how to make yogurt. There are not any special tools required and any special ingredients you may need you can find on the web.

My goal is for all everyone to know how to make cheese.

2 comments:

vihbass said...

Hi MaryBeth
just wanted to say i Love you,i hope all is well with you,if you ever need anything just send me a message to vihbass@hotmail.com

Frankie Ciambra

vihbass said...

i almost forgot to tell you,my neighbors have Goats and i milk them,how cool is that

Cuz Frankie